Once you've learned how to make yogurt, it is very easy to make Greek yogurt.
Why Make Greek Yogurt at Home
There are a couple of reasons you should make your own greek yogurt at home:
- The fresher the yogurt, the more active the culture.
- You can save a lot of money.
- You can make it exactly how you want it.
- It just tastes better.
- It is easier than you think.
How is Greek yogurt different?
In one word, thickness is what makes greek yogurt different. Greek yogurt is much thicker than regular yogurt. How do they make it so thick? The answer is easy.
Keep reading below...
How to Make Greek Yogurt
The easiest way to make greek yogurt is:
- Make home made yogurt.
- Strain the yogurt through fine butter muslin cheesecloth.
That is it. Here are some tips for success:
- Make yogurt as in our yogurt recipe. You can use your favorite yogurt culture.
- Sanitize a clean butter muslin cheesecloth by boiling or steaming for 10 minutes.
- Place cheesecloth in a strainer (fine steel mesh is best) to support it. Double the cheesecloth by folding in half to create a fine straining surface.
- Carefully pour finished yogurt into the cheesecloth and let drain for 1-4 hours (until desired consistency is reached).
- Return yogurt to clean container(s) and refrigerate.