For a fast and easy way to make tasty cream cheese without any fuss follow these directions.
- 2-3 quart bowl with lid
- Metal spoon
- Cheese Cloth
- 2 quarts of half and half *or* 1 quart any milk + 1 quart half and half
- mesophilic direct starter (1 packet available at HBX)
- cheese salt to taste ~1 tsp.
Yield: 1/2 pound
1. Keep half and half on counter to bring up to room temperature (68-72 degrees F).
2. Pour in clean bowl and add mesophilic starter and gently stir.
3. Place lid on bowl and place in oven with light on, this will keep the mixture at about (75-80 degrees F).
4. Keep at this temperature in the oven for ~ 12 hours. The mixture will thicken and look like watery pudding.
5. In sink, line colander with clean and sanitized cheese cloth (boiled from ~10 minutes will do the trick). Pour thickened liquid into colander.
6. Can add salt if desired at this time. Gather up the sides and hang cheese cloth, allowing it to drip for ~ 12 hours. This process can be sped up occasionally stir up the cream cheese mixture and then rehanging.
7. When cream cheese at reached the consistency you like, place in bowl in refrigerator. Will keep up to 2 weeks.
Recipe adapted from Ricki Carroll, Cheesemaking at Home.